Introducing Breck

I kept wanting to update everyone on how my pregnancy was going, but I never got around to logging on the computer! The last 6 weeks of pregnancy are probably the longest, especially the last 4 or so. Towards the end I was really sore after walking/standing all day. I would be really exhausted after work. I exercised up until week 37, my last class I took made me sore for days on end so I knew my time was up! I went 4 days (only by 9 minutes into the 4th day) past my due date. I love reading birth stories so I wanted to share mine!


I had my 40 week +1 day appointment on August 19. I had a sonogram where they checked the baby and did all the measurements. We only had one other sonogram at 20 weeks so we were excited to see how much he had grown. We saw he had chubby cheeks which only made us more eager to get him here! I also had my non stress test, and everything looked good. After my check I was still not dilated and only 30 % thinned, which is what I had been for weeks. I figured I would make it to my 41 week appointment, but little guy had other plans.

At about 4:45 on August 21 I woke up to cramps. They would come and go and I remember thinking ‘is this labor?!’. I did what all first time pregnant ladies would do and got on Google right away to see if what I was feeling were contractions. I started timing them and they were sporadic, ranging from 5-8 minutes apart and lasting anywhere from :30-1:00. They still felt mild and I could talk through them. I was scheduled to work at 8am so I called in to say I wouldn’t be making my first assignment and that I’d let them know if I was truly in labor to make it in or not. I called the doctor and left a message to let them know what was going on. I got a call back around 9 from my doctor who said I could either go about my day to see what happened or I could go for an hour vigorous walk to see if the contractions would either go away or become more intense. I immediately changed and threw on my running shoes to head out the door. Andy and I walked for about two miles. Towards the end of the walk I would have to stop to breathe through the pain. I knew this was the real deal and was getting really excited!

Around 11 I called the doctor back to let them know I was still having contractions and they were becoming stronger but again, I was able to talk through them. They went ahead and scheduled me to come in around 2 to get checked out. I took a shower and ate lunch just in case they were going to send me to the hospital right away. Andy loaded the car up, we took one last pregnant belly photo, and we headed out the door.

When I got to the doctor I was surprised to see I had lost 2 pounds since my appointment on Tuesday, bonus! The midwife, who just so happened to be my favorite person in the practice, was the one working and was on call that day. She came in to do my check and we found out I was about 90% thinned and 2-3 cm! Progress was happening! She told me to head home and call as soon as the pain was more intense. She said I was still smiling so I was still feeling good. I do have a pretty high pain tolerance so I was nervous that I would never get to that point of not smiling. Plus, I had a baby coming-who wouldn’t be smiling for that exact reason!?

We got home around 3 and I went and laid on the couch. I could not get comfortable to take a nap. Andy and I were timing contractions again and they got to 5 minutes apart (sometimes less), and lasted for a minute. I was feeling the intensity increase and I knew it was time to call the doctor. The nurse put me on hold and as soon as she came back on the phone I had a contraction. I couldn’t answer her so I threw the phone to Andy who talked to her. They told us to go ahead and go into triage. This was it!

The hospital is about 1o miles away, but it felt way further than that. Contractions and the car really aren’t a good match! Andy did a great job letting me know when a bump was coming up. We finally made it to the hospital around 4:30. We got signed in and I headed off to triage while Andy went to get our bags out of the car. When I got check there I was 100% thinned and 6-7 cm! I was immediately admitted into a room and started getting all hooked up.

I didn’t really have a birth plan but I wanted to see how long I could go without getting an epidural. We called our families to let them know we were in the hospital and getting ready to have the baby! Everyone hung out in the room with us. The contractions were getting stronger at that point and I could feel my water getting ready to break. I was starting to feel exhausted by this point (about 7pm). It had been a long day so far! I asked the nurse what the do or die moment was for getting the epi and she said as long as I could sit still I could get it at any point. I also asked that once water broke if the pain would be more intense and she told me yes. That’s when I decided it was time to get the epi. I needed energy to get through pushing!

The epidural was great! As soon as I got it I felt so much better! Around 9 I got check and was fulled dilated! The midwife called to have them break my water, which ended up happening without any assistance. They then sat me up so that the baby would move into position a little bit better.  The midwife got to the hospital around 11:15 and it was show time!

Everyone except Andy, my mom, and his mom left the delivery room to go wait in the waiting room. I was told I had the perfect epidural. I could see move my legs a tiny bit and I could feel the contractions, they were just less intense. It was time to push! Andy had one leg while my mom was the counter.  After a couple pushes they switched and Andy was the counter while my mom held my leg. I was still feeling really good, so good that during one of the rests I asked when I’d be able to eat something, ha! Andy was such a great coach. He kept me focused and calm. We both were so ready to meet our son.

After about 20 minutes of pushing our son, Breck, entered the world at 12:09 on August 22. We were all shocked with his weight of 7lbs 13 oz. I could have sworn he would have been in the 6 pound range {I should have known better, I was sore for weeks from carrying that weight around!}.

That moment when they laid Breck on my chest is one I will never forget. As the tears were flowing I was just in awe of this little guy. It was most definitely love at first sight. Andy reached to touch his hand and Breck instantly wrapped his little fingers around Andy’s finger. My heart just melted. I waited a long 40 weeks for that exact moment.

10645124_10101917234693315_1182790669022556163_n 10649567_10101917234793115_1418451916085027279_n


Life with B has been great so far. I recovered really well and have been even getting out of the house at least once a day since we came home. Andy took on the dad role like a pro! He’s always making sure B and I have everything we need and seeing him hold our son makes my heart turn to mush. I couldn’t imagine my life any different right now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *